Monday, November 30, 2009

Christmas gifts

      It’s time to really start thinking about gifts now. Especially for my kids. I’m trying to think of gifts that aren’t going to be another addition to the misfit toys stack. I don’t think I could take another book unless it involved volcanoes, tornadoes or sharks…. or something educational. We did get a volcano and tornado book for Jack for his birthday, but they were hidden too well before hand, and we still haven’t found them. SO, anything that is truly educational is a “go” with me.

     They do love their toys, and I have been keeping tabs on which toys they enjoy the most. Conclusion: topping the list is doodle pro. Followed by mega blocks, cars, puppets, toy figurines and books. These toys are played with as they are supposed to be.

   Topping the list of favorite toys played with “incorrectly” are": A pop-up Cars racer ramp (depressed and upside down it doubles as a steering wheel).  Next is the ball popper. I removed the batteries long ago. This toy is most famously called “Number 6” as in the Old Thresher’s train. It’s pushed around and frequently has things stuffed down it’s “funnel.” A bonus for “Number 6” is that the “funnel” can come off and be used as another steering wheel. That way my 2 big boys can both stick their steering wheels into the tub of mega blocks and drive the “truck” while sitting on their Spiderman couch.

    They come up with these on their own. I was about to throw out that stupid ball popper, but I let it sit by the door in a sack. I wasn’t brave enough to take it away from the kids. In my mind I kept thinking since they aren’t using the toy how they are supposed to it should be thrown out. But I don’t know if I can. They love it so much. And it’s helped expand their imaginations. I think it might be cruel of me to take it from them now.

  Now on to things that are NOT toys that they enjoy playing with: From time to time I notice my mixing bowls are missing. They slowly trickle away to the play room. I finally had Jack bring them back up today. I couldn’t make anything. He had taken them all to use for drums. He will from time to time ask Joe and I to come downstairs because “the concert is about to start.” He’s musically gifted as well. He can keep a beat. And my little Andy can dance. Maybe it’s just mommy talking. The boys also play on the computer with paint. Drives Daddy mad.

  Next they love empty bottles. Dish soap and shampoo are the best. I had used all of the dish soap refilling the handle in my dish sponge and started to rinse out the bottle to put in recycling when Jack walks up and says “And now it’s a toy?” Never mind recycling... we’re recycling in our home. Yes, he got the bottle to play with.

     So, this year I think I’m getting some cheap mixing bowls, and some painting program for the TV so they stay off of the computer. Maybe I’ll get some toy and remove the batteries,(if it comes with any) and just see what they can imagine. I’ll probably end up getting some learning work books and some clothes. Oh, and they all get a candy cane. I’ve just come to realize that toys are not always the best.

Jack will love the bowls, and I might even get him some real utensils too. He likes to cook with me anyway. So it’ll be a multi functional “toy”. And he needs long sleeve shirts. The 4T ones are just too small.

  Andy really couldn’t care less. He loves toy figurines. I think we’ll go with a few of those…. sea creatures most likely, or dinosaurs and then cars. I’ve already put the bug in my grandma’s ear for a doodle pro for him.

  My little Alex will get something to chew on, and a new outfit that matches with his big bros’ outfits. Oh, and maybe some more paci’s and diapers.

Stocking stuffers will include toothbrushes, fun shampoo, and some fun bath toys. The ones we have right now I’m thinking are probably pretty yucky looking on the inside. Some skin stickers (tattoos), Play dough for Jack. Finger puppets are other ideas.

They will get new pajamas, too on Christmas Eve.

I don’t know. I’m just typing things as they come to me. We’ll see what we end up with.

   I am so excited. Andy will really enjoy Christmas this year. He’ll actually remember it a bit probably. Last year we were all sick and it was awful. It was a no fun Christmas. Bonus though…we did all sleep together in bed for a 4 hour nap that day, and we didn’t have to rush off to places. We just stayed home. It was wonderful in that sense.

  Tomorrow we get to start the advent jar! I am so tickled and excited. This is going to be so much fun to do something with my kids everyday until Christmas. I am so excited, excited, EXCITED!

  I just put Andy to bed, and Alex needs feeding. Then I think I’ll get get my photo stuff ready for the shoot tonight, and do a bit of running on the treadmill when Alex goes down again. I don’t have a book I’m reading right now, I finished another series yesterday. I think I’ll check the library to see if The Time Traveler’s Wife is in. How sad… they only have it on audio. No fun. I suppose I’ll check Amazon for it a bit later when I’m editing more photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP