Friday, November 13, 2009

"Of course they have arms!"

       There are many things in life I am thankful for. Today I am thankful for the ability to try and better myself. I think I do a pretty good job of shaping situations to learn from them and try to be a better person. Maybe that's something everyone does and I just don't know it. I'm all locked up in my domestic engineer palace here. I'm not letting down my golden hair out the window though.
       I find myself wanting to do everything (minus dangerous activities -like roller coasters. I am a mother now, you know). I want to learn everything. I think I'm finally read to learn to drive a 5 speed. I had this weird notion when I was younger that I would die after I learned how. I am over that. It reminds me of other things I would do, like see how fast I could run to the fridge and back to my room. See if I could keep it under 10 seconds. I counted everything out in numbers for some reason, and how fast I could do them. Funny that I do not like numbers now. My brain doesn't have what it takes to align them properly. I pray my kids have my husband's mathematic mind. I don't know though. Just 2 days ago Jack was sitting in our room doing something, I think putting his pants on- and he started counting. I know I jerked my head up to see what he was counting. Nothing. Nothing at all. Just timing himself.
       Why is there no spell check? I find my self avoiding words because I don't want to check the proper spelling even though I know a certain word would fit much better.
        Sometimes I get really busy into my cleaning and I just think about things. If I concentrate too much on cleaning in my head it gets really annoying. Sometimes Jack will ask me something and I'll just say "yes, uh huh." because I'm busy. He asks so many questions it nearly drives me mad sometimes. And then he rephrases it to make sure that I understood, and then he'll repeat the answer back to me. It takes 5 minutes for one question I tell you.
     So today I am cleaning off the stove and thinking about the spots of food I'm trying to scrub off, and at the same time talking to myself pretending to talk to someone else (you know what I mean)- trying to figure out the best way to verbally explain something to them. Jack and Andy are having their lunch behind me of peanut butter and jelly when Jack asks me a question, "Sharks have arms, Mom?" Mindless me (laughing a little) "What do you think? Of course they have arms, Jack." (still laughing to myself at such a silly question) Then all of a sudden I realize I've infiltrated my sons head with something so wrong! He must be so confused. His love for sharks is amazing and he must have noticed there are so arms on a shark and now he's second guessing his observations. I had to quickly correct myself and tell him sharks do not have arms, they have fins. Of course that leads to repeating what I said and then asking again to make sure he understood my correction. Oh, it would have been so much easier just to pay attention to his question the 1st time. This isn't the 1st time this has happened either. I always laugh afterwards though.
       Now Jack is asking me if lions have sharp teeth like sharks. I said yes, and went back to typing and then he asked "they do?" "Yes". And then he asks "They can go underwater like the sharks?" I nearly said "yes". See!! He traps me in "yeses!". I can't be totally at fault here.
      I'm off to order pictures of the boys to send out to family. It feels like ages ago we were on vacation, but it hasn't even been a month yet.

Happy Friday the 13th!

3 comments:

  1. I count a lot of things... I didn't know you did that! Except I don't count the amount of time it takes me to do things-I count the amount of steps it takes me to get to where I am going. Like if I have to walk in the cold to my car, and I know it's going to be a long, windy walk, then I count my steps :). I also count the amount of stair steps when I go up and down them... Mom had something like 15 (for some reason I was thinking 16 or more, but that sounds like a lot... now I wonder) steps to upstairs- I have 10 steps to get in my house... you have one :).


    Thank God for synonyms!


    This is the second time you have tricked me into getting confused about what you are trying to teach Jack... first fish can only eat a certain kind of lady bug and now sharks have arms! Reminds me of a cartoon I used to watch with the shark had these muscle man arms, but I can't think of it right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha. Yes, I count steps, too! I still do, and Jack does as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This happens here from time to time as well - the kids always ask me stuff when I'm busy and trying to concentrate on something, so I am like "yes, yes, uh-huh... wait, what??"

    ReplyDelete

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP